Sunday, October 29, 2017

Cover Confusion

Lawrence DeWolfe Kelsey


                    On my last three books the covers to the book were much easier.  The first had a cover picture commissioned specifically for the book. The second had a picture of the subject, taken by someone who later became a professional photographer.  I took the third cover picture with a new camera, specifically for the cover. This time, the choices were more limited. The subject of the book is the life of my father. The book starts in the 1930s and through to 2008.  The pictures most suitable for the cover and those without exceptional resolution and that have sustained some damage over the years.  This is the first time I have simply not been able to go out and photograph the subject of the project.
                  I realize now that I should have commissioned drawings of the subject long ago and should have better anticipated the challenges in cover creation, for this particular project.





No comments:

Post a Comment